Last Updated on by
Avocado soup? Don’t worry, I haven’t gone all cray-cray super healthy – there’s some cheese and bacon hidden in this recipe!
I’ve been wanting to do an avocado based recipe for a while, after all it is the super food of the moment, I also realised that I haven’t yet done a soup recipe on my blog. Avocado soup?! In for a penny….!
The spinach felt like a natural addition to this recipe – another super food and a mild buttery taste that would compliment the avo. To add a smokiness to the final soup, I used ham stock instead of chicken or vegetable, some smoked paprika and fried up some crispy bacon. The roquefort adds a kick of saltiness to the dish.
Enjoy a healthy helping of avocado soup with spinach and added bacon and cheese!
Looking to get more avocados into your diet? Check out my Fish Tacos!
Avocado Soup with Spinach
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 small onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 litre ham stock
- 4 ripe avocados
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 200 g baby spinach leaves
- 100 g roquefort cheese or another blue cheese
- 1 handful of fresh coriander finely chopped, stalks and all
- sour cream
- fresh chives
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat with a small glug of oil. Once hot, pop in the bacon and fry until it starts to go crispy, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. Then throw in the celery, onions, garlic, paprika, cumin, brown sugar and the juice of half a lemon. Sir together for about 15mins until the veg starts to soften. Add in the stock, bring to the boil and let simmer for about 30mins until the stock has reduced to half.
- While waiting for the stock to reduce, peel and stone the avocados into a bowl, add the juice of 1/2 lemon, a pinch of salt and pepper and mash. Leave to one side until ready to use.
- Once the stock has reduced, adding the mashed avocado and stir well. Heat through for 3-5 mins. Then, a handful at a time, mix in the spinach. Cook through for another 5 mins
- Dice the cheese and add to the pan along with the coriander. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pop the whole lot into a food processor and blend well.