Last Updated on by
One of our food highlights on our honeymoon was a simple snack in a bar in San Francisco, Ramen Noodle Chicken Bites. Neither of us had had it before and have not encountered it since. Here is my noodle chicken bites re-creation, best washed down with a couple of Blue Moons!
The chicken is super juicy, thanks to the buttermilk, and is covered in a layer of crunchy noodle pieces. The jalapeño cream is a perfect accompaniment, but a sweet chilli dip would also work. Quick and easy to make with few ingredients and can be served piping hot straight out of the oven, or eaten cold at a picnic.
Breaded chicken will seem very boring after this – noodle chicken bites forever!
Looking for some more chicken recipes to snack on? Try my Chicken Satay!
Noodle Chicken Bites with Jalapeño Cream
- 14 ounces mini chicken fillets (400g)
- 10 ounces buttermilk (300ml)
- 13 ounces dried egg noodles (375g)
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3.5 ounces self raising flour (100g)
- Salt and pepper
For the Jalapeño Cream
- 10 ounces sour cream (300ml)
- 3.5 ounces green jalapeños (100g)
- Juice half a lemon
- A bunch of fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Place the chicken fillets into a bowl and pour over the buttermilk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir well. Cover with clingfilm and put into the fridge for at least two hours.
- Put the dried noodles into a blender and whizz up until broken down into smaller pieces. Place them in a large flat serving dish, add the chilli power and mix well. Leave to one side.
- Add the sour cream, jalapeños, lemon juice, large handful of fresh parsley and a pinch of slat and pepper into a blender. Blitz until you have a smooth cream. Pop in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the chicken fillets are ready, take them out of the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180º.
- Put the flour into one bowl, and the beaten eggs into another. Now for the messy bit! I found the best way was to do the chicken in batches of three. Take a fillet out of the buttermilk and dip into the flour, covering well. Then dip into the egg, again making sure it is covered, then place on the dish of noodles. Do this with two more fillets, then cover them with the noodles and place on a foil lined baking tray. You may need to wash your hands at this point so they aren't clogged with flour and egg! Repeat with the rest of the chicken fillets.
- Place in the oven for 30mins until the noodles have browned and the chicken has cooked through.
- Serve up with a drizzle of the jalapeño cream, a squeeze of lemon juice and some parsley. Place a bowl of the jalapeño cream alongside for some strong dipping action!