Cream of Celery and Carrot Soup
Get warm and cosy with this veggie loaded cream of celery and carrot soup. Seasoned with parsley and dill, this healthy and filling vegetarian soup is full of flavor and is perfect to serve for an easy dinner or as a sit down appetizer.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 celery stalks chopped
- 1 large onion, or two small peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups stock vegetable or chicken (950ml)
- 2 cups half and half (475ml)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil and butter in a large pot on a medium high heat.
Add the chopped celery, onion and carrots to the pot, along with a few pinched of salt and pepper. Cook til softened, around 15 minutes.
Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute or two.
Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, then take off of the heat.
Let cool a little and then pour in the half and half and stir to combine.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender or carefully in a stand blender.
Stir in the fresh dill and parsley and taste to season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the vegetables fairly small so that the soften and cook quickly.
- An immersion blender is the quickest and easiest way to blend the soup right in the pot. You can also ladle it into a stand blender, but be careful as it will be piping hot.
- If making ahead of time, let the soup cool completely before storing.
- If using dried instead of fresh herbs, add them into the pot with the veggies rather than at the end of cooking.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 1339mg | Potassium: 379mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 7403IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 1mg