Poached Cod in Coconut Milk
This super quick and easy meal is perfect for the days when you are running short on time. Made in one pan on the stovetop, this poached cod is cooked in coconut milk for a flavorful dish made with just a handful of simple ingredients. Ready to serve in just 20 minutes.
Servings 2 servings
- 2 cod fillets (around 5 to 6 ounces / 150g to 160g each)
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 red onion diced
- ¾ can coconut milk (about 10 oz / 300ml)
- 2 tablespoons crushed chilies or chili paste. Add to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
Pat dry the cod and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a little oil on a medium high heat on the stovetop.
Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes then add the red onion. Cook until softened.
Pour in the coconut milk, chili, lime juice and fish sauce. Stir to combine and bring to the boil.
Once boiling, turn the heat down. The liquid should be steaming but not bubbling.
Place in the cod fillets and put the lid on the skillet.
Cook for around 10 minutes until the fish is opaque and easily flakes away.
Serve immediately and spoon the onions and sauce over the top.
- Mince the garlic and ginger as finely as you can for the best flavor.
- Adjust the chili to suit your tastes.
- You will need a large skillet or pan with a lid. The fish won't fully cook unless you cover it during poaching. Use a glass lid so that you can see in the pan.
- Don't let the sauce that the fish is cooking in boil or simmer. Longer at a lower temperature is better.
- Keep your eye on the pan and adjust the temperature if the sauce starts to bubble.
- The ideal temperature for the sauce is 140F if you have an instant read thermometer. Otherwise it should be steaming but not bubbling.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of your fillets. The fish is cooked when it is opaque in colour and easily flakes.
- Serve immediately. Reheating can cause the fish to dry out. If you do have leftovers they will keep well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 330mg | Potassium: 935mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 89IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg