Flapjacks are such an easy treat to make and have throughout the week. My simple recipe adds a bit of indulgence to this classic sweet nibble with dark chocolate and cherries.
Flapjacks With A Twist
Flapjacks are a little slice of buttery goodness, that are are kind of good for you with all those porridge oats! I wanted to add a bit more indulgence to mine, so added in two luxurious ingredients that work so well together - dark chocolate and cherries.
The bitterness of the dark chocolate perfectly balances the sweetness of the cherries giving a decadent and rich flavour.
An Easy Flapjack Recipe
There's a reason that flapjacks are so popular, they satisfy a sweet tooth but require very little prep time in the kitchen. My recipe uses just 6 ingredients, takes 10 minutes to prep and they will last in a sealed container for up to a week, what's not to love?
How To Make Flapjacks With Chocolate On Top
This recipe is pretty forgiving, but there is one step that you really can not rush! After baking, you must make sure that the flapjack is completely cooled before you you remove it from the tray. If you try to remove it too soon, chances are it will break up and crumble, and the chocolate that you drizzle over the top will run everywhere! Be patient and you will end up with a perfectly chewy flapjack.
Flapjacks For All!
This flapjack recipe is so easy and straightforward, it's also a great baking project to do with children. A few simple steps and a lot of mixing, so they can get their hands dirty and help clean the chocolate bowl at the end!
This recipe was based on Delia Smith's basic Flapjack Recipe, use this as a base and add in your own flavours!
More Sweet Treats
- Pretzel Chocolate Pots
- Layered Chocolate Bark
- Baked Peach Oatmeal Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
Flapjacks with Dark Chocolate & Cherries
- 5.3 ounces demerara sugar (150g)
- 8.8 ounces slightly salted butter cubed (250g)
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 12.3 ounces quick cooking rolled oats (porridge oats) (350g)
- 7 ounces candied (glace) cherries cut into quarters (200g)
- 3.5 ounces dark chocolate minimum 85% cocoa finely chopped (100g)
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 2.65 ounces dark chocolate minimum 85% cocoa (75g)
- Preheat the oven to 160ºc / 320ºf
- Put the sugar, butter and syrup in a small saucepan and place on a low heat, stirring occasionally. One the sugar has been dissolved add to the porridge oats and combine.
- Once the porridge oats are fully coated, mix in the dark chocolate and cherries.
- Tip the mixture onto a lined baking tray and spread the mixture evenly. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let the bake cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt the dark chocolate gently in a microwave and drizzle over the flapjack with a spoon. Once the chocolate has set, slice into bars.