Last Updated on by
A few weeks ago, I had a food flashback to chocolate covered pretzels that sadly no longer grace the shelves of the supermarkets – you remember those right?! I’m a fool for that salty sweet mix of flavours! Seen as I couldn’t buy them, I turned to my kitchen and made these Pretzel Chocolate Pots instead!
This recipe was a bit of a labour of love, I’m happy to admit I’m not a natural when it comes to desserts and it takes quite a few tries to get a recipe right. First of all I turned to one of my fail safe dessert recipes, the cheesecake. Instead of having a biscuit base, I decided to use the pretzels as the crunchy bottom and then a thick layer of decadent chocolate cheesecake mix on the top. In theory, this was going to be awesome…in practice, the pretzel base crumbled away into nothingness! Back to the drawing board!
After a few more reincarnations, a kitchen covered in chocolate fingermarks and several bowls licked clean, the awesome (if I do say so myself!) Pretzel Chocolate Pot was born!
I decided to go with a dark chocolate for the base of my Pretzel Chocolate Pots. Dark chocolate is probably my favourite, not overly sweet with a hint of bitterness…just like me!! I jest, obviously…! These would work with milk chocolate if you would prefer, but if serving for a dinner party, the luxuriousness of a dark chocolate just feels a bit more grown up. I kept with my original cheesecake recipe for the chocolate to get that silky, creamy finish. The pretzel crumb adds another texture to the pot and the saltiness, as we all know, just works so so well with creamy chocolate. To serve, I decorated with some ready made, bought from the supermarket chocolate stars, just to add a final bit of pizazz.
These are super simple to make, and no bake! Hoorah! You can also make them ahead of time – I kept some in my fridge for two days and they tasted just as good!
If you are looking for another no bake dessert, try out my Layered Eton Mess with Summer Fruits
Pretzel Chocolate Pots
For the chocolate base
- 75 g dark chocolate minimum 75% cocoa
- 100 g cream cheese
- 50 g caster sugar
- 60 ml whipping cream
For the pretzel topping
- 50 g salted pretzels
- 25 g salted butter
- Slowly melt the chocolate, and set to one side to let it cool slightly
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese and the caster sugar until combined
- In a bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks have formed
- Once the chocolate has cooled, pour it into the whipped cream and combine well, then fold in the cream cheese mixture. It should be one even colour.
- Spoon the mixture into glasses, and smooth down with the back of a teaspoon. Put in the fridge for at least 30minutes to set
- Put the pretzels into a food processor and mix until you have a crumb and place into a bowl.
- In a pan, slowly melt the butter and pour this onto the pretzel crumbs. mix well and place in the fridge until ready to serve
- To serve, place half of the pretzel crumbs over each pot and decorate with chocolate stars.