This week I wanted to dive back into Slow The Cook Down’s archives and re share these awesome oven baked fries (or chips for us Brits!). These oven baked fries are dead easy to make and this recipe will serve up crispy pieces of potato heaven with a light and fluffy centre.Jump to Recipe
Are oven baked fries healthy?
This recipe seemed like the perfect one to re share as we approach the end of January – have you or have you not fallen off any diet resolutions?! These oven baked fries are a great healthier alternative to your deep fried variety, but they still come out super crispy and they have a subtle herby flavour to them. At under 300 calories a serving, these are a great way to indulge and not feel too guilty about it!
Easy recipe for oven baked fries
This is one of the simpler recipes on the blog, you’ll have most of these ingredients already in your pantry. They are also pretty quick to make, these bad boys can be on your table in forty-five minutes, making them a great tasty treat for weeknight meals! There’s seriously nothing complicated these oven baked fries, no excuses!
Are fries and chips the same thing?
Ok, so as a Brit, these are most definitely chips! Chips are what Americans call crisps and fries are a thinner version of chips….my British readers will know exactly what I’m talking about and I apologise to my US and Canadian readers if I’ve just confused the hell out of you! As a Brit living in Canada, more and more I feel that I’m falling into calling things the wrong names, but don’t worry Mum and Dad, I will never spell colour without the u!
For my UK readers, in this recipe I used Very Lazy Chilli, I love their products and they are a great and easy way to get added flavour into a dish. For my US readers – hopefully they will export it soon!
Why not pair these baked chips with my Pork & Cheddar Burger with Rhubarb and Apple Chutney?! or if you are looking for more potato sides, check out my Roast Potatoes with Garlic, Herbs and Parmesan
Oven Baked Fries with Herbs & Chilli
- 2.2 lb white potatoes 1kg
- 0.4 cup olive oil 100ml
- 1 tsp very finely chopped chilli I use Lazy Chilli as it is really finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 pinches of cracked black pepper
- Clean the potatoes - no need to peel, and cut them in to chunky chip pieces, try to keep them the same thickness. Add them to a pot of salted cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins. Make sure they aren't over boiled and falling apart. Drain and put to one side.
- Pre heat oven to 220ºc / 425f
- In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, chilli, salt, rosemary, thyme and pepper. Pop the chips in and cover with the oil and herb mixture. Use your hands so as not to break up the chips.
- When they are properly covered, lay them on a baking tray covered with tin foil, try not to overlap the chips. Pour over any of the oil mixture that is left over. Pop them in the oven for 30mins. After 20mins turn them over gently.
- Once they are golden brown, take them out and serve with ketchup