Last Updated on by
This Beef Curry Stew is slow cooked in the oven for a deep and rich flavour. An easy one pot meal that’s perfect for meal prep and freezer meals. Cooked in Indian Spices and coconut milk to warm your soul.Jump to Recipe
This weeks tasty recipe has been keeping us warm and cosy all week! My Beef Curry Stew was actually one of the very early recipes on Slow The Cook Down, and it desperately needed a bit of love! It’s such a tasty recipe that’s full of flavour, and it just has not been getting the love it deserves!
Usually when I’m naming a recipe, it’s pretty easy and often very obvious, but this recipe was a little different. Is it a stew, is it a casserole? It has Thai flavours – is it a curry?! It’s some kind of awesome hybrid that’s delicious, that’s what it is! This is one of our favourite recipes to eat in the week – I’m just sorry that it took so long to update the post!
Beef Curry with Stew Meat
Because this recipe is all about the slow cook, I chose to use cubed stew beef and it gets super delicious and tender. Stew meat is full of flavour and it’s less expensive than other cuts, so easier on your wallet too!
How do you cook Beef Curry Stew?
The method for cooking this Beef Curry Stew is pretty straight forward for a dish that is so rich and flavourful. I used a Crockpot cast iron dutch oven for this recipe as it’s oven proof and is awesome at distributing the heat, but any oven safe pot will work. First off brown the beef, then keep to one side. Heat the aromatics, add the veg, sauces, beef and stock then in the oven for three hours while you enjoy a few glasses of wine!
Meal prep and freezer meals
Now obviously this recipe doesn’t fall under the ‘easy weeknight’ category – or does it…?! Yes it’s a slow cook and not a 30 minute meal, but batch cook this bad boy on a lazy Sunday and you are set! This casserole freezes well, so you can portion it in Tupperware to freeze, and just defrost before a gentle reheat for dinner in a hurry. It will also keep covered in the fridge for a couple of days.
Easy Weeknight Dinners
Be sure to check out more tasty coconut milk recipes here!
Beef Curry Stew with Coconut Milk
- 17.5 ounces diced stew beef (500g)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- salt & pepper
- 3 cm of fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies sliced and deseeded
- 3 cardamom pods crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 leek halved and sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- juice & zest of 2 limes
- 13.5 ounces coconut milk (full-fat, canned) (400ml)
- 6.7 ounces beef stock (200 ml)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3.5 ounces fresh green beans (100g) or you could use carrots or any other crunchy veg
- handful of coriander
- Heat oven to 160º
- Toss beef in flour, salt & pepper. Add oil to a large casserole, on a high heat, and fry beef in batches for a couple of minutes until browned. Set aside.
- In the same casserole, add a splash more oil, turn heat to med-low, and add ginger, chilli, cardamom, cumin and garlic - heat for two mins until fragrant. Add onions, leeks and peppers. Heat for 5 mins until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add oyster, soy and fish sauces, along with lime juice, zest and coconut milk. Stir well.
- Stir in beef and cook for 5 mins.
- Add in beef stock, tomato puree and bring to the boil. Pop lid on and put in oven for 3hrs.
- Once cooked, bring out of oven and stir in green beans and coriander and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.