Last Updated on by
A couple of months back I went to a food & wine festival and after consuming a copious amount of free samples, I thought it was the best idea in the world to buy some very expensive caviar! Now obviously I could just have enjoyed it straight with some vodka, but I really wanted to incorporate it into a dish for the blog. This Salmon and Caviar appetiser will totally hit the mark for your next dinner party!
The salmon and caviar are obviously the stars of this dish and the ingredients that they are paired with should compliment, not over power them. I lightly flavoured two batches of soft cheeses, one with dill and lemon juice (classic flavours for any fish dish) and the other with the tiniest hint of mustard, just to give it an extra bite. The cucumber brings a wonderful freshness to the plate and this is all topped on a crispy piece of toast to add texture. I served on a bed of rocket, it’s natural pepperiness balances wonderfully.
What is key to this dish is the quality of the salmon and caviar, more so the salmon. If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s poor quality smoked salmon – I’ll go get my spoilt Princess crown on…! Seriously, don’t skimp on the salmon in this recipe, it will be noticed. Cheap salmon tends to be watery, floppy and dull in colour – come on, just look at the colour of this salmon (no photos have been edited for colour!). Buy the best you can afford and you wont be disappointed. If you don’t have a tin of caviar laying around (shame on you!) you could totally make this dish without it, or you could use cod roe as a cheaper alternative. But hey…you and your guests are worth it!
Apart from making the toast, there is zero cooking involved here, and I would hardly say that making toast is tricksy! It is so simple to put together, if you multitask you could get it done in 15 – 20 minutes. You can also make them and keep covered in the fridge for a couple of hours before you are ready to serve.
Now don’t think that I’m so fancy pants that I eat smoked salmon and caviar everyday…never say never, but not quite yet!
Salmon & Caviar Appetiser
For the toast
- 2 slices of white bread
- Salted butter for spreading
- Cracked black pepper
For the dill soft cheese
- 75 g soft cheese
- 3 g fresh dill finely chopped
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Cracked black pepper to taste
For the mustard soft cheese
- 30 g soft cheese
- 1/4 tspn English mustard
To build the dish
- 6 thin slices of cucumber
- 2 strips of high quality smoked salmon
- 1 tspn caviar
- Slice lemon
- Rocket leaves
- Put a frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten out the slices of bread and cut out a circle with a large cookie cutter. Spread butter on both sides of the bread circles and add a pinch of black pepper. Place the slices into the hot pan and fry until golden brown, about 5minutes each side.Once done, remove from the heat and set to one side.
- In a bowl mix the ingredients for the dill soft cheese together. In another bowl, mix the cheese and mustard together.
- Make sure the toast is cool before layering up.
- Take a piece of toast and evenly spread half of the soft cheese mustard over the top. Place 3 slices of cucumber on top so that they don't overlap. evenly spread half of the dill soft cheese on top of the cucumber. Roll a strip of salmon into a cone shape and place on top, then place half a teaspoon of caviar in the middle of the salmon.
- Place on a bed of rocket and dress with dill and a lemon slice. Repeat for the second plate.