Last Updated on August 28, 2019 by Slow The Cook Down
Ok, time for a bit of indulgence! My Blueberry Grilled Cheese recipe is a little spicy, a little sweet and a lot tasty! Quick and easy to make, take your grilled cheese game to the next level…
**THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS I only link to ingredients that I use and like. I receive a small percentage from items purchased through these links
Blueberry Grilled Cheese – The Inspiration
We’ve had so much fun exploring the bars and restaurants of Toronto since we’ve moved here, and one that we’ve visited a few times is District Eatery. The first time we went there we had some wicked cocktails followed by what can only be described as a freaking aamazing grilled cheese! We couldn’t stop talking about how tasty and indulgent it was and I just had to recreate it at home!
Blueberry Grilled Cheese Recipe – So What’s In It?!
What’s in it? Layers and layers of awesome flavour melted together to form an ooey gooey slice of heaven! Sweet blueberry jam, shredded cheddar and mozzarella, maple smoked bacon and some jalapeno slices make this grilled cheese sandwich a treat for the tastebuds! The sweetness of the jam works wonderfully next to the saltiness of the bacon and the jalapenos give a heat of hit in each bite. I went for a mix of sharp cheddar, for an extra hit of flavour, and mozzarella for that classic stringy cheese texture.
Bacon Makes Everything Better (especially if it’s maple glazed!)
One of the best things about moving to Canada? Maple.Glazed.Bacon. Sweet and salty and crispy and…..just yes! It works so amazingly well in this blueberry grilled cheese. The crunchy bacon adds an extra layer of texture to each bite and the salty sweet quality fits in between the jam and the cheese seamlessly. If you can’t get hold of the maple glazed variety, you can of course use a regular streaky bacon….but it’s not as good! You can buy some Maple Smoked Bacon online, so be sure to order some in!
Blueberry Grilled Cheese
- 2 strips maple smoked bacon or regular
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp blueberry jam
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar & mozerella (50g)
- 1/2 green jalapeno thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp salted butter or margarine
- Fry the bacon over a medium high heat and place to one side
- Spread the mayonnaise on each slice of bread and then top with the jam.
- On one slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese and place the bacon and jalapeno slices. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Place the other slice of bread on top (jam side down!) and lightly press together.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Butter the top of the sandwich and place in the hot frying pan, butter side down. Once the sandwich is in the pan, butter the top side of the sandwich.
- Fry the sandwich a for a couple of minutes until teh bread has started to get toasty, then, using a spatula, gently flip it over.
- Press down gently and fry for a couple of minutes. Then flip every 30 seconds or so, pressing down, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted