Last Updated on November 10, 2019 by Slow The Cook Down
This Chicken Fried Steak Burger is packed so full of flavour your tastebuds won't know what's hit them!
American food is King in our house and when I first tried chicken fried steak I fell in love! It's a thin steak, coated in herbs and spices and fried - a kind of cross between KFC and MacDonalds! Om nom nom! For this recipe, rather than use a piece of steak, I used a steak burger and whacked it in a bun - what's not to love? I'm big on condiments, so also knocked up a red onion chutney and a blue cheese sauce to accompany it. This burger is MASSIVE on flavour and as crunchy as a crunchy thing.
A word of warning - if you like your burgers well done, give them a bit of a cook before you coat in the spices, or use thinner burgers. This recipe will give you a rare / med-rare burger…but that's the way I like it!
I see chicken fried steak, and I raise you a chicken fried steak burger!
Be sure to check out these other tasty burger recipes!
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried this burger recipe, be sure to scroll down, give it a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Chicken Fried Steak Burger
FOR THE ONION CHUTNEY
FOR THE BLUE CHEESE SAUCE
- 3.3 ounces sour cream (100ml)
- 3.5 ounces stilton - crumbled (100g)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley - finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh mint - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives - finely chopped
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Make the cheese sauce first - pop all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Leave it to stand at room temperature and stir occasionally.
- Next, pop some oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the sliced onions along with the bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 15 mins until the onions are dark and sticky, stir occasionally.
- Add in the other ingredients to the onions and stir well. Bring the pan to boil and then turn it down to a simmer. Leave for about 15-20mins until the chutney is thick. Keep your eye on it - don't get distracted by the vino!
- Once cooked, let the chutney cool completely.
- Mix the dry ingredients for the burger coating together in a bowl. Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat. Take a burger, dip in the egg, then coat with the herb and spice mixture. Dip again in the egg and back into the dry mixture. Repeat with the other burger.
- Burgers into the frying pan and cooke for around 5 mins on each side until crispy and golden brown.
- Burgers into bun, and pop a spoonful of blue cheese on top - let it drip all over! Then a spoonful of the onion chutney and top with lettuce, tomato and whatever else your heart desires! Serve with fries and coleslaw and get messy!