Last Updated on by
Yes, I know it’s not even December yet, but here’s the first of my Christmas recipe posts. After all, the key to a stress free day is all in the preparation. Ditch the shop brought cranberry sauce this year and give my port and orange version a go.
I can not tell you how simple this cranberry sauce is to make – 20 minutes tops, one pan and four ingredients. The best bit is, that you can freeze this for a couple of months, or keep in the fridge sealed for a 4 weeks (probably longer!) so you can make it well ahead of time. This also makes it perfect for an easy homemade Christmas gift. Make a giant batch, eat some, freeze some, give some to friends. All of your cranberry sauce needs are more than covered!
The aromas that fill your kitchen when you make this are utterly divine. It even made this scrooge feel a bit festive! The port balances the sharpness of the orange and cranberry amazingly well leaving you with a tangy and sweet cranberry sauce that will compliment any Christmas table.
In the run up to Christmas I will be putting together lots of festive dishes, if you can’t wait though, then why not check out my Roast Potatoes for a fantastic side.
Cranberry Sauce with Port and Orange
- 21 ounces fresh cranberries (600g)
- 8.8 ounces demerara sugar (250g)
- 8.5 ounces port (250ml)
- 2 oranges
- Add the sugar and port to a small saucepan along with the zest of one orange and the juice of both.
- Bring to the boil and add the cranberries.
- Simmer for around 8-10 minutes (keep your eye on them so they don't boil over). The cranberries should still hold their shape, but be soft.
- Once cooked, take off of the heat and let cool.
- You can freeze or refrigerate the cranberry sauce at this point. Serve to the table at room temperature.