Last Updated on by
Summer is here and that means chips and dips! This recipe for corn salsa with avocado is easy and fast to make and packed full of fresh and tasty ingredients. Healthy and creamy, this relish is perfect to top tacos and fish dishes and yummy enough to serve straight up with with some tortilla chips. It just takes 15 minutes to prep, is gluten-free, vegetarian and easily made vegan.
There’s been an abundance of fresh corn in all of the stores here, and I’ve been racking my brains for some great recipes! There’s just something about opening up a fresh ear of corn that signals summer for me, and I love the crunch you get when you bite into a kernel!
This salsa is perfect served on top of my Marinated Flank Steak (Carne Asada) Tacos, or simply serve it up as a dip with a pile or tortilla chips.
What is Fresh Corn Salsa with Avocado?
This is quite literally summer in a bowl. Creamy and packed full of fresh Mexican flavors, this is a dip you need to be serving! We are bang in the middle of corn season right now, so make the most of this yummy summer veggie!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Corn: I used fresh corn, straight off the cob. No need to grill it, just slice of the kernels. If you are in a pinch you can use canned or frozen.
- Avocado: Use a perfectly ripe avocado. It helps to get the salsa really creamy.
- Tomatoes: Large ripe tomatoes on the vine are best. Cherry and plum will also work well.
- Red Onion: Finely sliced. I love the color it adds and it has a nice mild flavor.
- Jalapeno: I like to add in some fresh sliced jalapeno for some heat. If you are sensitive to spicy food you can omit these.
- Lime Juice: No Mexican dip is complete without lime juice. Always use fresh juice for the best flavor.
- Mayonnaise: For a creamy texture.
- Cilantro: Cilantro leaves add a herby freshness to each bite. If you hate cilantro, swap this out for some parsley.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, salt and pepper
How to make Fresh Corn Salsa with Avocado
Ok guys, this one really couldn’t be any easier! Simply prep and chop all of the veggies and herbs and dump into a bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and then pop in the fridge for at least half an hour to let all those wonderful flavors develop.
Creamy Salsa Recipe
I wanted to make this delicious dip with a creamy edge, and a little mayo does wonders! It helps bind all of the ingredients together while still letting all of those fresh flavors shine through. The avocado also adds a little creaminess to the finished dish. This is such an easy and fast recipe to make and it’s super zingy!
Mexican Corn Salsa for Tacos
While this dip is perfect by itself and a pile of tortilla chips, it also works as a great topping for tacos – in fact, I have an awesome taco recipe coming up that this is perfect for, so keep your eyes peeled for that! It contains a bucket load of fresh Mexican flavors to really make your tacos sing!
I would wager too. that this would work wonderfully as an accompaniment to grilled fish.
Healthy Salsa Recipe
This recipe makes enough for eight servings, and each serving comes in under 150 calories. Sweetcorn is a great source of fiber and protein, as well as a tonne of healthy minerals and the avocado adds in some healthy fats and potassium.
- If you want to cut down on more calories and fats per serving, feel free to use a low fat mayo.
- To make it vegan, use a vegan mayonnaise, or you can omit completely for a less creamy salsa.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will corn salsa last?
Store this salsa covered in the fridge, it will stay freshest this way. I left mine in the fridge for 24 hours and it was still good to go. The lime in the salsa helps to stop the avocado browning. I would advise against freezing it.
What do you eat with corn salsa?
This is a great dish to serve up along side a stack of tortilla chips and other dips like Roasted Jalapeno Guacamole and sour cream. It’s also a great topper for tacos and would also be a great accompaniment to a fish dish.
Can it be served immediately?
You can serve this as soon as you make it, however, I advise that you pop it in the fridge for at least half and hour before serving to let all of those flavors meld together.
Can I make this with canned corn?
There’s nothing quite like fresh corn, but if you are in a squeeze you can substitute in canned corn, just make sure that it’s properly drained, rinsed and dried. You can also use frozen corn that is fully defrosted.
Top tips to make this recipe!
- Use the freshest ingredients you can – it makes all the difference!
- Do let the salsa sit in the fridge for at least half an hour before serving.
- Add in an extra jalapeno if you like things spicy.
- Taste after you’ve mixed the salsa and add more salt if you wish.
More Easy Mexican Inspired Dishes!
- Mexican Chili Beef Enchiladas
- Roasted Ground Beef Chili
- Chilli Beef Nachos
- Fish Tacos with a 7up Batter
- Roasted Jalapeno Guacamole
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried this yummy Mexican recipe, be sure to scroll down, give it a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Be sure to keep in touch and sign up to Slow The Cook Down to grab your free e-book ‘Stress Free Recipes Made For Sharing’
Fresh Corn Salsa with Avocado
- a large bowl
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
- salt to taste
- Using a knife, remove the corn kernels from the ears of corn and place in a large bowl.
- Cut the avocados into chuncks and add to the bowl. Deseed and chop the tomatoes and add those too.
- Finely dice the red onion and jalapenos and add those.
- Squeeze over the lime juice, and add the mayonnaise, chili powder, fresh cilantro and several pinches of salt.
- Combine the ingredients well, taste and add more salt if you wish.
- Let the salsa sit in the fridge for half an hour if you can before serving.