Happy bank holiday everyone! It is possibly our last chance to BBQ in good old blighty (if the rain stays away!) so add these tasty salmon kebabs to your repertoire. I mean, there’s only so much sausage and burger a girl can have.
Salmon is such a great fish to BBQ with, and in this dish it stands up nicely to the sweetness of the honey and the heat of the chilli. The saltiness of the soy dip that i made to go alongside cuts through the sweetness for a real taste sensation.
If you are making these salmon kebabs for a BBQ, you can do them ahead of time so you can enjoy those beers, but they also work really well cooked on the hob in all their sticky marinade. Go on, give your guests something a bit more exciting at your BBQ this weekend!
If you are looking for other salmon recipes, check out my Pineapple Salsa with Smoked Salmon
These salmon kebabs are a great BBQ alternative! Sweet and sticky with a hint of heat.
- half a side of salmon (boned and skinned)
- 100 ml runny honey
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chilli (I recommend using Lazy Chilli so you have really fine pieces)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 cm fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 75 ml soy sauce
- 25 ml rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- juice 1/2 lime
- Cut the salmon into chunks, around 3cm pieces. If using wooden skewers, soak these in some cold water. Thread the pieces of fish on to the skewers and place on a tray.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the marinade ingredients and then pour over the salmon kebabs, ensuring that they are coated well on all sides. Put some clingfilm over them and put in the fridge for at least 30mins or until ready to cook. Baste every now and again.
- While the salmon is marinating you can make the soy dip. Heat a glut of oil in a saucepan over a medium high heat and add in the chilli, ginger and garlic. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes, then turn down to a low heat. Pour in the rest of the dip ingredients and gently heat for about 5 mins. Pour the dip through a fine sieve and keep the soy mix to one side to cool.
- When ready to cook the salmon kebabs, you can either put them straight onto the bbq, or cook in a griddle pan on the hob.
- To cook on the hob, heat a griddle over a medium high heat, when hot add in the kebabs along with the marinade. As the salmon is cooking, spoon over the marinade that will be bubbling in the pan. They will take around 7 minutes to cook, turn occasionally to ensure an even cook.
- Add a few sliced spring onions and ginger strips to the soy sauce and serve up with the cook salmon kebabs.