Last Updated on August 28, 2019 by Slow The Cook Down
Phew!! What a hot couple of weeks we have had! In this weather, I have to dump the stodgy, heavy, hot food and reach for some big, filling salads that can be knocked back with a glass or two of sauvignon blanc on a warm summer's evening. This quick and easy pineapple salsa recipe takes little effort to make, and the addition of the smoked salmon makes it a real treat for the tastebuds!
Last summer I posted a recipe for Spicy Mango Salsa with Pan Fried King Prawns, it went down really well, both with readers on my blog and social media, as well as at home. Generally if it does well with the Husband, it does well in the wider world! When the hot weather hit here in the UK, I found my self craving something similar. A fresh and bright salad, with a balanced mixture of sweet and heat. So, with a few alterations, this pineapple salsa really hit the spot!
The pineapple is baked in the oven, to really release those natural sugars, and I cant tell you how well they combine with the smokiness of the salmon. I decide to serve the pineapple salsa as a starter on a bed of baby spinach, but you could easily serve it up as a main, maybe on a bed of mixed leaves, or simply as a side dish to accompany a larger meal.
this post contains an affiliate link, i will only endorse products I use and can honestly recommend
As with all salads, the key to this dish is fresh, high quality ingredients. For those in the UK, I can not recommend this St James Smokehouse Scotch Reserve® Award Winning Scottish Smoked Salmon enough. Don't skimp on the quality of your salmon people!
If you are looking for some other summer salads to help you cope with this heat, then check out my Halloumi Fries on Strawberry & Rocket for some cheesy fresh goodness! And be sure to pop over and check out my Mini Crab Cakes for another seafood appetizer.
Pineapple Salsa with Smoked Salmon
Prep the pineapple
- 8.8 ounces pineapple pieces (250g)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the rest of the salsa
- 2 romana peppers (or red bell peppers)
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- ½ red chilli
- ½ tsp salt
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch black pepper to taste
- 3.5 ounces smoked salmon cut into strips (100g)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc / 350f
- Place the pineapple pieces on a baking sheet and sprinkle of the lime juice, chilli powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven for around 15 minutes. Once cooked, remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Finely dice the peppers, avocado, onion and chilli and place in a large bowl. Add in the cooled pineapple.
- Add in the lime, salt and pepper and smoked salmon strips. Mix well and leave covered in fridge until ready to serve.