This bright and colourful mango salsa is so easy to put together as a really fresh light lunch or a starter. The heat from the chilli is perfectly off set with the sweetness of the mango and the juicy prawns top it all off. The husband ‘hates tropical fruits’ but he was won over by this (pineapple next for you JD!)
It takes 15mins to put together, so it’s perfect for lazy summer days. One word of warning though, do your chopping before you have a drink or you may slice half your thumb nail off….either that or just keep that thumb tucked in! Poor knife skills!
Use the freshest ingredients you can lay your mittens on for maximum flavour and don’t scrimp on the prawns (you can of course use shrimp as a substitute). If you have left over mango salsa it keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days.
If you are looking for more salsa dishes, check out my Pineapple Salsa with Smoked Salmon!
Pan fried King Prawns on a spicy mango salsa
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 red chilli use half if you don't like heat
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt & pepper
- 150 g fresh king prawns peeled
finely dice the mango, pepper, onion and chilli and add to a large bowl. Add in the olive oil, parsley, lime juice, 1/2 tsp of salt and a good sprinkle of cracked black pepper. Mix well and leave to one side.
- Pop the prawns in a small bowl and add 2tbsp of olive oil and a couple of good pinches of salt an pepper. Mix.
- Put a large frying pan on a med-high heat. Once up to a good temp add in the prawns. Cook for around 4-5 mins, occasionally stirring until they are pink.
- Place a few spoons of salsa in the middle of a plate and lay a few prawns on top.
Serves 4 as an appetiser, or two as a main course
Calories are an approximation based on 4 appetisers