Last Updated on by
This week I’m going to share with you how to make one of my favourite go to recipes to pump some extra flavour into your meals. This red onion gravy is the traditional accompaniment to sausage and mash or toad in the hole, but you can also mix it up and use it in place of a smooth gravy on your Sunday roast or Christmas dinner – it will do wonders for your pork chops and roast potatoes.Jump to Recipe
This simple onion gravy has a wonderful rich depth of favour – in my opinion it’s the best gravy recipe out there! It uses just a handful of ingredients, most of which will already be sitting in your kitchen cupboards and doesn’t require much attention during the cook, meaning you can keep enjoying that glass of red wine!
Vegetarian and Vegan Red Onion Gravy Recipe
Strictly speaking, because I have used Worcestershire sauce in this recipe, it isn’t vegetarian and I also use butter to cook the onions so it’s not vegan. HOWEVER…!! With a few simple swap outs you can make this 100% animal product free. Swap the Worcestershire sauce for a tsp of marmite and just use oil to cook the onions rather than butter.
I often use a vegetable stock in onion gravy, so it’s perfect if you are catering for vegetarian and meat eaters, but you can also use beef or chicken stock if that’s what you have to hand.
Caramelised Red Onion Gravy
Because I wanted this from scratch onion gravy recipe to be as simple and easy as possible, I didn’t fully caramelise the onions, but if you have time then cook them for longer to get them nice and sweet. If you want to make this gravy even richer, pop in a bit of red wine 😉
How to make Red Onion Gravy From Scratch
We are all so used to using gravy granules for a quick and easy gravy – me included! – but there really is no better than making your own for a full and rich flavour. It takes around 50 minutes to make onion gravy scratch, but most of that time is passive. It’s so easy to make gravy while you are cooking your main dish.
This is a foolproof red onion gravy recipe that is packed full of delicious flavour and I’m sure it will become your go to accompaniment for your bangers and mash!
Red Onion Gravy From Scratch
- 4 red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1.75 ounces salted butter (50g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2.1 cups vegetable stock (500 ml)
- 1 small bunch thyme tied with kitchen string
- Finely slice the onions and garlic
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Put on a low heat to melt the butter
- Add the sliced onions and garlic, and cook for about 10 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another couple of minutes
- Turn down the heat as low as it will go and add the stock and thyme. Place a lid on the saucepan and leave for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and keep on the heat until the gravy has reduced to your preferred consistency.