Scallops are a great and healthy fast food and can be used in a variety of dishes. They don’t have an overpowering fishy flavour, but are sweet and mild. The saltiness of the bacon puree really compliments the scallops (and makes the dish slightly less healthy!).
You don’t need much of the puree, in fact probably a bit less than in the photo, as it is pretty concentrated. If you can’t get fresh scallops, have a look in the freezer aisle.
A pretty dish that is quickly whipped up quickly and dished up as an impressive starter. Serve with a chilled glass of Sav Blanc!
If you are looking for more seafood appetisers, check out my Bloody Mary Prawn cocktail
An impressive appetiser thats full of flavour
- 200 g streaky smoked bacon
- 200 ml double cream
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 round of black pudding about 80g
- 4 scallops or 8 if you are feeling peckish!
- First off, fry the bacon with a little oil, you may need to do this in batches, until super crispy and leave to rest on some kitchen towel (don't clean out the pan, you will need this for later). When cool break up the bacon into small bits and put in a food processor. Add in the cream, butter, paprika and whizz.
- Put the puree into a small saucepan over a low heat. Keep your eye on it and stir every now and again to prevent it sticking. After about 15mins, the puree will separate slightly, leaving the fat at the top of the pan. Drain this through a fine sieve, saving the oil, and leave to one side.
- Dice the black pudding into small chunks. Take the pan that was used for the bacon and put over a medium heat. When hot, pop in the black pudding and fry for 4-5mins until it is crispy. When done, take out of the pan and leave to one side. Keep the pan hot.
Take the scallops and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and put into the hot pan. To cook the scallops takes about 2-4 mins on each side. The trick is not to move the scallops around, they will release from the pan when they are ready.
- To serve, place a spoon full of the thick bacon puree on to a plate and top with a scallop. Take a little of the oil you drained and spoon over the top of the scallop. Sprinkle with the black pudding.
Nutritional values are based on one serving