This healthy breakfast sausage egg bake casserole is the perfect make ahead recipe. Loaded with sausage, bacon and a tonne of fresh veggies, this low carb meal prep dish is a nutritious start to your day. Versatile enough to serve as a breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner option.
I don't know about you guys, but at the start of the year I had a game plan. The game plan lasted for a good three months then things slightly slipped, and all of a sudden I haven't posted on Slow The Cook down for ages!! There have been a few changes this end which means my usual schedule went out the window and I really fell behind with blogging. But, a new and improved game plan is in place, and I'm excited to start sharing delicious recipes with you all again!
On to the recipe...!
Since I left my previous career and started working from home, breakfast has become an actual thing in my life! For sooooo long, I would head out of the door and have nothing but tea and coffee in my belly til lunch (or an 11 o'clock unhealthy snack, cos I always worked in offices where someone would bring cake in!). Now, there's no excuse, and I'm all about getting a good breakfast in that keeps me satisfied until lunchtime!
This breakfast sausage egg bake is stuffed full of protein and healthy veggies, and it's perfect to make ahead of time and reheat, so you have a filling hot breakfast with zero effort. We also had this as an evening meal with some steamed veggies and new potatoes - think of it like a crustless quiche!
How to make Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake - step by step
- First up cook your sausages and bacon. I popped both onto a lined baking tray and popped in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Let cool and then slice the sausages and break up the bacon.
- In a measuring jug, mix together the eggs, milk and herbs and set to one side.
- Layer a large oven proof dish with half of the spinach, bell pepper, spring onions, bacon and sausage. Top with half the cheese, then add the other half of these ingredients on top so you are creating layers.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and pour over the egg mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes until golden brown.
Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake is perfect for make ahead meals
This egg casserole is a perfect dish to make for yourself to enjoy throughout the week, I highly recommend you make two at the same time and freeze one! It's also a great option for a fuss free brunch if you are entertaining....
Can you prep this brunch casserole ahead of time?
You can easily put all of the components of this dish together, then cover it and pop it in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking it. This means it's the perfect brunch option if you have guests - a freshly cooked brunch with zero effort! You can also bake it all and then keep it covered in the fridge for 3 or 4 days and reheat it.
How do you cook a sausage egg casserole bake?
As with (nearly!) all, ensure that when you are ready to cook to breakfast casserole you are placing it into a pre heated oven. The oven should be set at 390ºf / 200ºc. It will take around 40 minutes for the casserole to bake, keep your eye on it so it doesn't burn, and you can pop a bit of foil over the top if it's getting a bit too dark! Use a knife to check that the egg is cooked through, if you have an instant read thermometer, the bake should be 160ºf / 71ºc.
Can you freeze this breakfast casserole?
I love breakfast casseroles like this sausage egg bake, as they are totally freezer friendly. Simply let the dish cool, then cut the bake into individual portions and pop them into freezer safe containers. If you are stacking the portions, separate them with parchment.
How do you reheat this sausage egg bake?
If you are reheating from frozen, first fully defrost either in the fridge or the microwave. Place the bake on a baking tray and cover with foil (so that it doesn't burn), and put in a preheated oven at 350ºf / 180ºc for about 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through. You can also reheat it in a microwave on high for around 3 minutes until heated through - cover loosely with cling film.
Breakfast Casserole with Bacon and Sausage for a healthy breakfast
Yes, you can have bacon and sausages for breakfast and still be healthy!! There isn't a huge amount of either in each portion of this egg bake, but it really does add to the flavor. I would also implore you to buy the freshest, most local, and least processed options you have available to you. Feel free to use a spiced sausage for added flavor!
A Veggie Loaded Breakfast
There's a generous amount of veggies in this breakfast, namely spinach, bell pepper, spring onions and cherry tomatoes to ensure you get a good helping of vitamins and minerals to start the day right. Feel free to add in other veggies you have in your fridge, broccoli, red onion and kale would all make good additions.
Easy breakfast casserole recipe
This Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake Casserole is pretty straight forward to make with just a handful of fresh and tasty ingredients - lets be honest this is a pretty simple dish, but sometimes simplicity is just what is needed! I love how versatile this dish is too, it can be served as a light lunch with a salad, or as part of a dinner, and thanks to those herbs and fresh veggies, it is far from bland!
Top tips for making Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake Casserole
- If you can, use local sausage and bacon that is fresh and less processed.
- Use free range / organic eggs.
- Feel free to add in any veggies you have in your fridge.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven for best results.
- Serve immediately, or let cool and keep in the fridge or freeze - see notes above.
Be sure to check out these other awesome egg bake recipes!
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried this Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake Casserole, be sure to scroll down, give it a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Breakfast Sausage Egg Bake Casserole
- 5 sausages (your favorite kind)
- 6 strips bacon
- 7 oz spinach leaves (200g)
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow)
- 4 scallions (spring onions / green onions)
- 3.3 oz shredded cheddar (100g)
- 5 oz cherry tomatoes (150g)
For the egg mix
- 12 large free range eggs
- 3.5 oz milk (100ml)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
- .125 tsp salt (to taste)
Cook the meats
- Preheat the oven to 390ºf / 200ºc and line a baking tray with foil.
- Place the sausages and bacon on the tray and cook for around 20 minutes until done. Remove from the oven and let cool. KEEP THE OVEN ON!
- When cool enough, slice the sausage in to bite sized pieces and break up the bacon.
Make the egg mix
- Mix all of the ingredients for the egg mix together in a large jug and set aside
Prep the veggies
- Dice the bell pepper and clean and slice the scallions. Half the cherry tomatoes.
Build the casserole
- In an oven proof dish, spread out half of the spinach across the bottom, then evenly distribute half of the bell pepper, two scallions, half of the sausage and bacon and sprinkle over half of the cheese.
- Repeat to use up the rest of the ingredients; a layer of spinach then the bell pepper, scallions, sausage and bacon. Don't add the cheese yet! Add the cherry tomato halves instead.
- Pour over the egg mix and then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
Bake the casserole
- Place the casserole into the pre heated oven (390ºf / 200ºc) for around 40 minutes. keep an eye on it - you can pop a bit of foil over the top if it's getting a bit too dark! Use a knife to check that the egg is cooked through, if you have an instant read thermometer, the bake should be 160ºf / 71ºc.