Last Updated on October 31, 2020 by Slow The Cook Down
Quick and easy to make this these marinated honey mustard chicken breasts are made with just 5 ingredients and are ready to serve in less than 30 minutes. All cooked in one skillet, the honey and dijon mustard create a simple but flavorful sauce and the chicken is perfectly juicy.
If you are stuck in a bit of a dinner rut, I’ve got your back with these delicious marinated honey and mustard chicken breasts. Quick and easy to make, this one skillet dinner is perfect for an easy weeknight meal.
Honey and mustard work so well together in this recipe. The marinated chicken has a nice crust to it and the sauce is slightly creamy with a balanced sweet and tangy flavor. Even better, it’s all cooked in one skillet so clean up is a breeze!
If you love the flavors in this dish, be sure to check out my Honey & Mustard Marinated Chicken Salad. For more chicken skillet dinners, my Turmeric Chicken and Chicken Coconut Curry are two simple and delicious recipe!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this yummy dinner!
- Chicken breasts: If you can, use organic and air chilled chicken for this recipe for the best flavor and quality.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning.
- Oil: For the marinade. I used olive oil, but vegetable or canola will work just fine.
- Honey: To naturally sweeten the dish. The honey caramelizes on the chicken to produce a rich flavor and delicious crust.
- Mustard: I like to use whole grain dijon mustard. You can use yellow mustard if you want a more mild flavor.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic for the best flavor.
- Double Cream: For a creamy and smooth sauce. You can use milk if you prefer.
How to make skillet honey mustard chicken
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
- Marinate the chicken breasts (photo 1).
- Cook the breasts on both sides until cooked through (photo 2).
- Remove the breasts, cook the garlic and add in the other ingredients, stir to combine (photo 3).
- Add the chicken back to the skillet to warm through and serve (photo 4).
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally you want to marinate this chicken for at least 30 minutes so that you get a nice flavorful crust. As this is a low acid marinade, you can leave it as long as 6 hours. If you are short on time and need to get dinner on the table, you can shorten the marinade time to 10 minutes.
This marinated honey mustard chicken is great to serve with lots of different veggie and potato sides. Try it with:
Fried Potato Slices
Oven Baked Fries
You can also slice the chicken and add it to salads, just don’t pour the sauce on top!
Absolutley! Chicken thighs can easily be used instead of breasts. Just be aware that they will take slightly longer to cook than breasts, but otherwise the recipe remains the same.
This dish is best served as soon as it’s ready so that the chicken is nice and juicy. You can marinade the chicken ahead of time.
If you do have leftovers, they will keep well covered in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. It’s best to reheat the chicken and sauce in the oven. Cover the skillet with foil and cook it in a pre heated oven at 325F for around 25 minutes until cooked through.
Use good quality honey and mustard
This simple dish only requires a few basic ingredients, but for the best flavors use a good quality mustard and honey. The sharpness of a whole grain dijon cuts through the sweetness of the honey really wonderfully. Use a raw natural honey if you can which has a richer sweetness.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Use an instant read thermometer to check that the honey mustard chicken breasts are fully cooked through. It should register at 165F.
- I garnished this with some fresh parsley, but fresh thyme or rosemary would work really well with the flavors from the honey and mustard.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta
- Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Nuggets
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Slow Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Herbs and Garlic
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried these marinated honey and mustard chicken breasts, be sure to scroll down, give them a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Be sure to keep in touch and sign up to Slow The Cook Down to grab your free e-book ‘Stress Free Recipes Made For Sharing
Marinated Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts (Skillet Recipe)
- 2 chicken breasts
For the marinade
- Place the ingredients for the marinade into a bowl or ziplock bag.
- Place the chicken breasts into the marinade and use your hands to coat them. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat the skillet on a medium high heat.
- Cook the chicken on both sides until cooked through (5 to 7 minutes on each side).
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set to one side.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the mustard and honey and pour in the cream. Stir to combine.
- Once heated through, add the chicken back to the skillet to heat through.
- Slice the chicken, drizzle over the sauce and serve.