Last Updated on September 26, 2020 by Slow The Cook Down
Get ready for your tastebuds to tingle with these delicious and sticky pineapple and chili wings. Super easy to make and oven baked, these glazed wings are juicy, sweet, spicy and a real crowd pleaser. Just 5 ingredients and 10 minutes prep!
'Ain't no thang but a chicken wing!'
That's a bit unfair, because quite honestly chicken wings are the bomb, and these ones are no exception!
Glazed in a sweet and (slightly) spicy sauce of pineapple and chili, this simple recipe is sure to please! If you like Hawaiian chicken, you will love these bad boys!
Perfect to serve as an appetizer or part of a main meal, they are hassle free and screaming with flavor.
If you are a wing fiend, like me, be sure to check out my Sticky Chicken Wings with Honey and Sriracha.
- Chicken Wings: I used drumettes and winglets for this recipe, but you can use full wings if you prefer. If you can, get organic and air chilled chicken for the best flavor.
- Pineapple Juice: I used an organic pineapple juice, but you can use any cartoned juice.
- Crushed Hot Chilis: These wings aren't overly spicy at all, the crushed chilis add color and flavor rather than a tonne of heat. You can always adjust to suit your taste.
- Honey: Honey adds a nice sweetness and caramelizes on the wings for a crispy bite.
- Cornflour and Water: To thicken the glaze.
How to make chili and pineapple wings
Be sure to scroll down for the full recipe!
- Place the marinade and wings in a large ziplock bag or container, combine and let sit for 10 minutes (photo 1 & 2).
- Place the wings on a rack over a baking sheet and bake (photo 3).
- Place the marinade in a pot and boil, thicken with cornflour.
- Brush the sauce over the baked wings (photo 4) and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
It will take about 40 minutes to cook the wings in a preheated oven at 390F / 200c. Do keep an eye on them so that the marinade doesn't burn and be sure to flip them halfway through so that they cook evenly and are crispy on each side.
These wings are best served as soon as they are ready so that they are nice and juicy. If you have leftovers, they will keep in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat leftovers in a preheated oven at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes until they are heated through.
Wings don't need long to marinate, just 10 minutes will do the trick. Don't marinate them for more than a couple of hours as the acid in the pineapple juice will break them down too much and you will end up with mushy wings. Never a good look!
Wings are perfect to serve as an appetizer with a dip, these chili and pineapple wings will work well with mayo, ranch or sweet chili. You can also serve them up as part of a main with fries and coleslaw.
Why oven bake chicken wings?
Don't get me wrong, I do love a fried chicken wing, all the yums! But when it comes to making them at home, I love the hands off baking method that excludes a giant pot of bubbling oil. The sugars in the honey and pineapple juice caramelize so you still get those nice crispy edges and the meat is wonderfully juicy.
Freezing cooked chicken wings
Yep, that's right, you can freeze these chicken wings once they are cooked. Let them cool to room temperature and then freeze them on a baking sheet. Transfer to a freezer bag or safe container once solid and they will keep well for up to 3 months. Thaw the wings in the fridge overnight and cook them in a pre heated oven at 175ºc / 350ºf for 15 to 20 minutes until they are warmed through.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Pat the wings dry before adding to the marinade to remove any excess moisture.
- The chicken wings should be at room temperature when you place them in the oven so that they cook evenly through. Marinate them at room temperature, not in the fridge.
- Cook the wings on a rack over a rimmed baking tray. This helps them to get crispy all over and the tray catches any dripping juices so you don’t have to clean your oven afterwards!
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- How To Make Homemade Chicken Stock
- Slow Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Herbs and Garlic
- White Bean Chili with Shredded Chicken
- Creamy Tomato and Turmeric Chicken
- Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Nuggets
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried these oven baked pineapple and chili wings, be sure to scroll down, give them a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Be sure to keep in touch and sign up to Slow The Cook Down to grab your free e-book ‘Stress Free Recipes Made For Sharing’
Oven Baked Pineapple and Chili Wings
- Preheat the oven to 390F / 200c
- Add the pineapple juice, chilis and honey to a large ziplock bag container. Mix well.
- Add the chicken wings to the marinade and coat them with the marinade. Cover the wings for 10 minutes.
- Place a large cooking rack on top of a large rimmed baking tray.
- Once the wings are ready, place the wings on the rack, leaving space between each one and place in the pre heated oven for 40 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- Transfer the marinade into a small sauce pot.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
- 5 minutes before the wings are ready, put the marinade on a high heat and bring to the boil. As it is boiling, add the cornstarch and water mix to the sauce and stir until it has thickened.
- Take the wings out of the oven and baste them with the thickened sauce.
- Transfer the wings to a plate, sprinkle over sesame seeds and sliced green onion and serve.