Last Updated on July 2, 2020 by Slow The Cook Down
This easy beet smoothie is packed full of vitamin C for a cold busting and tasty drink. Just 5 minutes to make and a handful of ingredients to help boost your immune system. A healthy vegan smoothie packed full of nutrients with no added sugar.
I hope you’ve missed me?! I’ve had a couple of weeks off of the blog, and one of the reasons for that is because I’ve had a stinking cold! The temperature has dropped a few degrees here and it seems like the whole city has succumbed to sniffles and sore throats! It’s definitely the season for comfort foods like Roasted Ground Beef Chili, Roasted Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup and Pasta Bake!
I asked members of my Facebook page what their best cold and flu remedies were, and after trying all of their whisky remedies (!) I opted to make my own vitamin C loaded, immune boosting smoothie. Now I’m not saying it’s a magical cure, but it’s a great way to get some goodness into your system when you are feeling run down.
What is in this easy beet smoothie
This smoothie is packed with healthy ingredients to boost your immune system and keep the bugs at bay!
- Spinach leaves: An amazing source of vitamins K, A, C as well as a good helping of folate, iron and vitamin B2
- Beets: Low in calories but high in fiber, vitamin C and a powerful inflammatory.
- Blackberries: Full of important nutrients like potassium and calcium and high in vitamin A, C and E
- Lemon juice: High in antioxidants and vitamin C
- Greek yogurt: A great source of calcium and protein
- Unsweetened coconut milk: Contains antioxidants and can boost your immune system
How to make a beet smoothie
This smoothie is called easy for a reason! The only “work” you need to do is to peel the beet(s) and squeeze a lemon. Just bung it all in a blender and whizz until smooth. It’s a great option for breakfast or as a mid afternoon pick me up.
You can use a low fat Greek yogurt and coconut milk to reduce the calories and fat content if you wish. You can also use any milk you like; oat, almond, soy and dairy will all work.
Is beet smoothie good for you?
I did a fair bit of googling when coming with my easy beet smoothie concoction, I wanted to combine ingredients that not only tasted good together, but had tonnes of antioxidants and vitamin C to fight the germs. Spinach, beets, blackberries and lemon juice are packed into this easy 5 minute smoothie, and I added Greek yogurt for a dose of protein and probiotic. One smoothie is around 250 calories and packed with goodness.
Easy beet smoothie with coconut milk
I opted to make this smoothie dairy free, because if you are all congested, animal milk can sometimes exasperate that. I’m a big fan of unsweetened coconut milk, the kind you get in a carton, not the canned stuff though for this recipe. If your a fan of coconut milk like me, be sure to check out my list of Coconut Milk Recipes, where you’ll find more smoothies as well as a tonne of other awesome recipes.
Easy beet smoothie vs beet juice
Personally, I do prefer smoothies over juices, especially when making them at home. When you make smoothies, you are using all of the fruit or vegetable, which means you are getting that roughage and fibre in to your glass. Juicing extracts the liquid, so while you will still get a tonne of goodness, you are throwing away that fibre. Such a waste!
I also HATED cleaning my old juicer – get a dishwasher safe blender and you are in clover!
Do you have to peel and cook beets before blending them?
Yes, be sure to peel the beets before adding to the blender! Just slice the root and stem off and then use a vegetable peeler or a knife to remove the rest of the skin and chop them in half before blending. You can wear gloves if you don’t want your hands to turn bright red! There’s no need to cook them before adding to the blender and they contain more nutrients when they are raw.
What’s the best blender for smoothies?
Before we moved, I had a NutriBullet which was awesome for smoothies and I loved that you could just make individual ones to take with you on busy mornings. You can also use a larger stand blender, it’s bigger but you can also use it for lots of other things, not just smoothies.
Top tips for making this easy beet smoothie recipe
- Use the freshest ingredients that you can lay your hands on, and organic if you can.
- If you use frozen blackberries, and you won’t need to add additional ice cubes.
- Be sure to use fresh lemon juice, not the bottled stuff.
- The smoothie is best drunk immediately to make the most of all of those vitamins and minerals.
For more healthy drinks:
- Berry Oat Smoothie with Coconut Milk
- Anti Inflammatory Smoothie
- Flavoured Water with Lemon, Mint and Ginger
I love hearing from you!! If you have tried this easy beet smoothie recipe, be sure to scroll down, give it a star rating and let me know what you thought!
Easy Beet Smoothie - A Cold Busting Drink
- handful of baby spinach leaves
- 2 small beets (or one large)
- 10 blackberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (250ml) (or other milk)
- 4 - 5 ice cubes
- Peel the beets and cut in half
- Add all ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth
- Drink immediately